Moving Mental Health Forward
Our vision is to be a safe and inclusive network that actively fosters and supports good mental health through sport and physical activity.
In Barnsley, we look out for each other and help each other out. The Moving Mental Health Forward Network is a collective of sport and physical activity organisations, groups and clubs that are working to create a better environment for the discussion about mental wellbeing to take place and become a preventative force to address poor mental health locally.
Why we are developing this network
- 10% of Children and Young People have a Mental Health Illness
- 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem of some kind each year in England
- 1 in 6 people report experiencing a common mental health problem (like anxiety and depression) in any given week in England
- 1 in 5 people have suicidal thoughts
- 1 in 14 people self-harm
- 1 in 16 people attempt suicide
We can positively affect the people around us by raising awareness of mental health and helping to foster a positive mental health culture.
Why become part of the Moving Mental Health Forward network?
By joining the Moving Mental Health Forward Network your organisation, group or club will:
- Be part of a network that is helping to use the power of sport and physical activity as a positive force to change how we talk about our mental health.
- Help and support the people around your organisation, group or club talk about problems they may be facing when they may have ordinarily bottled it up inside.
- Show how your organisation, group or club is proud of and supports positive mental health in Barnsley. You can access promotional tools, social media packs, infographics and more to help do this.
- Have the opportunity to take part in network events.
- Have access to a small grant fund to support your organisation, group, or club in supporting positive mental wellbeing. This could be used for staff/volunteer development activities, events, communications etc.
- Be connected to various services that can support your participants, supporters, workforce, or the families of those people.
- Attract new members by promoting your organisation, group, or club as a proud, positive, and supportive environment.
- Build unity and strength by creating an environment where we can all support each other.
It's completely free to join and the process of getting involved is really straightforward...
How to get involved in Moving Mental Health Forward
- For your organisations, groups or clubs to be a part of the network we ask you to complete a small submission against five principles that help to promote a positive a mental health culture.
- There is help and support available for each of the principles, so please feel free to contact us – this may include resources, funding, or advice.
- On completion, you will gain a recognition award that you can proudly display showing that your organisation, group, or club is helping to create a positive mental health culture.
- You will then have access to all the digital and printed resources, be able to use the communications pack we supply, show your recognition award and apply for a Moving Mental Health Forward Activation Grant to help you create a positive mental health culture in your setting.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Register your interest in the Moving Mental Health Forward network
To show your interest in the network, you will have to complete the Moving Mental Health Forward Principles document. Please email us at Sport&ActiveRecreation@barnsley.gov.uk and request a copy, which you will then be able to fill in and send back to us.