Moving Mental Health Forward
Our vision is to be a preventative force against poor mental health by joining together to create a collective awareness of and promote a positive mental health culture across Barnsley.
In Barnsley, we look out for each other and help each other out. The Moving Mental Health Forward Network is a collective of sport and physical activity organisations, groups and clubs that are working to provide a better environment for the discussion about mental wellbeing to take place, being a preventative force to address poor mental health locally.
Why we are developing this network
- 10% of Children and Young People have a Mental Health Illness
- 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem of some kind each year in England
- 1 in 6 people report experiencing a common mental health problem (like anxiety and depression) in any given week in England
- 1 in 5 people have suicidal thoughts
- 1 in 14 people self-harm
- 1 in 16 people attempt suicide
As organisations, groups and clubs we can positively affect the people around us by raising awareness and helping to promote a positive mental health culture.
Why organisations, groups and clubs are involved?
The Moving Mental Health Forward Network is for your organisation, group or club to:
- Be part of a network that is helping to use the power of sport and physical activity as a positive force to change how we talk about our mental health.
- To help and support the people around your organisation, group or club encouraging people to talk about problems they may be facing when they may have ordinarily bottled it up inside.
- Show how your organisation, group or club is proud of and supports positive mental health in Barnsley. You can access promotional tools, social media packs, infographics and more to help do this.
- Access to free mental health training and support with opportunities to be a part of the network events.
- Access to a small grant fund to support your organisation, group or club in supporting positive mental wellbeing. This could be used for developing, activities, events, communications etc.
- Be connected to various services out there that can support your participants, supporters, workforce or family of those people.
- Attract new members by promoting your organisation, group or club as a proud, positive and supporting environment.
- Creates unity and strength where we can all support each other.
It is all completely free to join and the process of getting involved is really straightforward...
How to get your organisation, group or club involved?
- In order for organisations, groups or clubs to be a part of the network we ask you to complete a small submission against 5 principles that help to promote a positive mental health culture.
- There is help and support available for each of the principles so you can contact us – this may include resources, funding and advice.
- On completion, you will gain a recognition award that you can proudly display showing that your organisation, group or club is helping to create a positive mental health culture.
- You will then have access to all the digital and printed resources, be able to use the communications pack we supply, show you recognition award and apply for a grant of up to £2000 to help you create a positive mental health culture in your setting.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Register your interest in the Moving Mental Health Forward scheme
To show your interest in the scheme, you will have to complete the Moving Mental Health Forward Principles document. Please email us at Sport&ActiveRecreation@barnsley.gov.uk and request a copy, which you will then be able to fill in and send back to us.
You can also see a draft example of the Moving Mental Health Forward Charter, which we will ask you to display at relevant locations if your application is successful (your personalised final version will be sent over following the agreement).